Saturday, April 20, 2013

senior citizen

The shelter we adopted Reggie from said that he'd been there over six months. The first thing he did when we brought him home was locate the nearest couch and hop on.

 

He hasn't moved much since.  Before we adopted a dog, Perry and I never discussed if we'd allow pets on the furniture and with Reggie it was never a question. The couch was where he belonged. Nothing less would do for him.

I shouldn't say that his life is completely sedentary. Just mostly. He does enjoy his walks. He does the dog equivalent of primping: he perks up his tail and ears and takes high dainty steps.

Adopting a dog has worked out well for Perry and I. I feel like we hit the doggie jackpot with Reggie, but I'm still not going to proclaim "HEY GUYZ! ADOPT A DOG TODAY!!" I don't think dogs work for every one's situation. Actually, if Perry wasn't living with me, I don't think a dog would have worked out for me, despite the whole owning a house thing. My work schedule is just too weird, and dogs are such social animals that they need to be around people a majority of the time.


What I would like to proclaim is "Hey guys, think about adopting an older dog." Reggie is seven years old. He didn't break out of doggie prison to dig up the garden, tear apart cushions, and poop on shoes. That's puppy/adolescent stuff. He just wants to sleep on the couch, get some tummy rubs, and sunbathe in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment